July 7 - August 11, 2020 12:00 am
Western landscapes have always burned and always will. The more we suppress fire and change the climate, the more catastrophic wildfires become. How can we make communities and wild lands more resilient in the age of megafire?
Join us for an invitation-only, weekly virtual learning and discussion series, created for philanthropic organizations and individuals. Featuring leaders from the government, academic, NGO, and funding communities, the series will cover the causes of catastrophic wildfire, its compound impacts on issues like public health, equity, water, and climate change, and emerging solutions for saving lives, property, and natural resources.
- Learn about the history, context, and solutions related to megafires in the West
- Understand the intersections between wildfire and other critical issues to maximize funding efficiencies, co-benefits, and collaboration
- Gain a deeper knowledge of the role philanthropy can play in unlocking innovation or accelerating solutions, and ways you can weave wildfire into your existing grantmaking strategies
- Cultivate an ethos of “an ounce of prevention is a pound of cure” to create preventive, resilience-building solutions allowing government to primarily focus on disaster response
- Build and expand your network with other funders interested in staying plugged in and active on funding opportunities
Session Dates and Registration
- Session 1: July 7, 2020 | 12:30 pm – 2:00 pm: Convergence of COVID-19 and Megafire. MORE INFORMATION AND REGISTER >
- Session 2: July 14, 2020 | 12:30 pm – 2:00 pm: Catastrophic Wildfires: The New Abnormal. MORE INFORMATION AND REGISTER >
- Session 3: July 21, 2020 | 12:30 pm – 2:00 pm: Catastrophic Wildfires: Opportunities for Intervention. MORE INFORMATION AND REGISTER >
- Session 4: July 28, 2020 | 12:30 pm – 2:00 pm: Shaping the Future of Climate Change, Water, and Wildfires. MORE INFORMATION AND REGISTER >
- Session 5: Aug 4, 2020 | 12:30 pm – 2:00 pm: Catastrophic Wildfires: Impacts on Public Health and What We Can Do About It. MORE INFORMATION AND REGISTER >
- Session 6: Aug 11, 2020 | 12:30 pm – 2:00 pm: The Economic Opportunity of Building Wildfire Resilience. MORE INFORMATION AND REGISTER >
Cohosted by: Vibrant Planet, Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation, Hewlett Foundation, Resources Legacy Fund, Philanthropy California, Smart Growth California